Prev: RE: SG2, Another close assault question Next: Sa'Vasku Maneveuring

RE: UN Ship Nomenclature

From: Noah Doyle <nvdoyle@m...>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 00:42:03 -0500
Subject: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature

Niall writes:

>And if we really want to get into a linguistic discussion I could start
naming places in Irish.  The point being that with regard to the UN
fleet
in Full Thrust we shouldn't restrict ourselves to exclusively english
names
for places.   This would be more in keeping with the "feel" of the UN.>

	Y'all have a good point.  I would like to name things in the
current (&
probably most accurate) way, which is what the locals call it.	As far
as I
know, most geographical features are already like this.  But I had to
pick
some language for the big ones, and stick with it, because the 'what the

locals call it' process breaks down at several points:
	1) When there's a LOT of ways to say it; Asia, Africa, etc; does
everybody
call the same feature the same thing?  Probably not.
	2) While I want to put together a good ship name list, I simply
don't have
the resources to find out what the accurate name for everything in the
local language is.
	2b) This may be really Anglo-Ameri-Australo-centric, but English
is one
of, if not the, most important language on the planet.	I have to pick
something to use, and I'm trying to get a good flavor by using various
locations all over the world.  The names will be romanized for ease of
pronunciation, and I've honestly got to say, the big languages in the UN
of
GZG's 2185 will be English & Chinese, with French, German, Russian,
Arabic
and (insert common African language here) running close seconds.  I
picked
English, cause that's what I know.

	This points out why I'm sticking with natural features for ship
names -
less political debate.

Noah

Prev: RE: SG2, Another close assault question Next: Sa'Vasku Maneveuring