Prev: SG2, Another close assault question Next: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature

RE: SG2, Another close assault question

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 15:01:44 +1000
Subject: RE: SG2, Another close assault question

-----Original Message-----
From: Wayne [mailto:w.pollerd@student.unimelb.edu.au]
Subject: SG2, Another close assault question
Hi Wayne, well this is the way we do it at Western Suburbs:

QUESTION ONE:
>When is the defenders CONFIDENCE test to see if they will stand and
receive
>the charge actually taken.  On pg 41 under "Initiating close
assault".........

Look at hte next paragraph: "As soon as the Attackers pass their
Reaction Test and start to charge, the Defender must make a Confidence
check......" So, if the Defender fails he doesn't get a chance to shoot
at the Attackers as the Defender is running away.

QUESTION TWO:
>Do the defenders have to take a CONFIDENCE test if the assaulting squad
>doesn't roll enough movement to reach them at all.  That is they're
stuck
>in mid charge.

See Question One above.

QUESTION THREE:
>Can a SUPPRESSED infantry squad attempted final defensive fire.......

I think Jon T makes this clear that it is an exceptional case by putting
the "EVEN IF SUPPRESSED" in capitals.

QUESTION FOUR:
>If the assaulting squad needs to make two combat move dice rolls can

All the reference is to the Defender getting Final Defensive Fire not
treating it as Reaction Fire as such. So I don't think other squads get
to fire. Argueable point perhaps but this time the path of least
resistance makes the game flow more.

QUESTION FIVE:
>If casualties from final defensive fire are enough to cause the
assaulting
>squad to make a CONFIDENCE test (in the combat above the PA squad lost
>their squad leader which causes them to make a CONFIDENCE test), when
do
>they make it..............................

ANY casualties from FDF are enough to cause the Confidence check. Page
43, 5th paragraph states it pretty clearly "If casualties are inflicted
then the attacking unit must make an IMMEDIATE reaction test........"

QUESTION SIX:
>Speaking of casualties from final defensive fire, if another squad can
also
>shoot .........................

Er, given the answer to Question Four above I think this is a moot
point.

Well that's how I see it. Actually we find close assaults fairly
straihgt forward. But then we've played a LOT by now and got in to all
sorts of sticky game spots and sorted a lot of questins out. In general
we come back to the simplest approach to make the game most fun. I
suppose we are lucky in that we have a lot of long time serving or
retired servicemen so we can rationlise things pretty quickly.

Cheers,

Owen G

Prev: SG2, Another close assault question Next: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature