Prev: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature Next: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature

RE: New DSII weapon system

From: Noah Doyle <nvdoyle@m...>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 20:44:33 -0500
Subject: RE: New DSII weapon system

I do have to agree with Tom in most respects here.  I like the idea of
an
EMP weapon - it fits in with a sublethal force doctrine, but that
doesn't
seem a very common doctrine (I personally think it's a bad idea outside
of
crowd control, and that's not what armies are for, regardless of current

American thought - my ESU Field Police units, however...).  While I do
like
the idea of EMP effects, i don't use them in my systems, because
everything
is optical by that point.  Older systems may be more susceptible, but a
laser or MDC kills 'em just as dead as a particle beam (my favorite way
of
inflicting soft kills), if not better.	Anyway, the current militaries
don't seem to be all that worried about EMP weapons - it's the financial

institutions (who don't design their systems to survive a nuclear
battlefield) who are worried.  EMP is actually rather easy to generate,
but
it requires a lot of power, and may or may not have detrimental health
effects.  The standard context in which it is studied is atomic blasts,
and
the health effects of those outweigh that of an EMP emission :).

Noah