Prev: RE: Simple is good Next: Fighter/ Bombers for FT...

RE: Simple is good

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 12:17:09 -0500
Subject: RE: Simple is good

Tom spake thusly upon matters weighty:
>     It is not just an issue of avoiding complexity.  Rather it is a
> question of where the complexity lies.  I rather have simple rules
> and complex decisions to make during the game.

Won't disagree with you. Just find that simple rules often lead to
simple decisions (one tactic permitted by rules is far superior to
others, hence only the unwise do other things). Oft times simple
rules can lead to not being able to do a thing because the rules
don't allow it.

>     Of course, there are a few games where the whole point is the the
> rules of the game, Mao is one such card game.  But these are whole
> different kettle of fish.a

ARGH! MAO! HATED FOE... I SLAY THEE NOW....

>     Then there is my favourite game GO.  The rules are very simple,
yet
> the tactical and strategic situations are very complex.

Of course, this isn't a simulation of anything nor is it expected to
even vaguely conform to human capability or behaviour so the
comparison (although valid) has weak points.

>     I think we're preaching to the choir here.  Maybe if we take this
thread
> to rec.games.board or the cosim mailing we'd get a real arguments
going. :-)

Heh! I'm sure we're all in agreeance that rules should be the
province of lawyers, and gaming the province of gamers. I'd guess
that we'd mostly all 'rule as needed' where the rules don't fit. Most
of us might try to get what we think of as the right flavour. I like
add-on rules that cover situations I might face but don't come into
play a lot so they aren't an encumberance (SFB could have learned a
thing or two from FT here). But at least if one has a short
guideline, then one can use that without too much thought. But I am
in total agreement that complex and unwieldy rules make for complex
and painful arguments between those so inclined (I'd rather just
clear the room with a cannister of CS myself). The only difference
between us on the list is the exact level of complexity or time we
can or enjoy devoting to our game. And that is the great thing! The
game accomodates all of our tastes without breaking badly. That says
a lot.	(Yes Jon T, you don't need evangelists here....)

:) Tom.

Prev: RE: Simple is good Next: Fighter/ Bombers for FT...