Prev: Re: 15mm figures. - and a Question of Composition Next: HISTORICON

Re: Orbital Insertion (& other stuff)

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:29:37 -0700
Subject: Re: Orbital Insertion (& other stuff)

Personnaly I think using a drop ship in the assualt phase of the
operation big enough to hold several battalions is definately waiting
for a disaster to happen.. Even though Air Superiority in this type of
Operation is a given it would be hard to guarantee that ESU Private Ivan
Chong doesn't pop up from somewhere with an SA-33 shoulder fired nuclear
SAM and waste your invasion force. I'd prefer my drop ships in two
sizes. Platoon -ized ships (similar to Chinooks nowadays), though a case
could be made for companies.. Each capable of holding 30-60 troops OR an
AFV, and then a BIG ship which comes in well after the area is secure.

Of course Orbital drop is a way to go for the initial assault (ala
John's method w/ PA) as is just plain old paradrop (or whatever they'll
be using for chutes in the future). Drop ships come in come low, drop
troops at whatever altitude, (this would be non power-armored for those
armies on a budget <g>). One the DZ/LZ is secured then it call in the
drop ships. All this of course is situation specific. And yes you still
need infil of SOF r pathfinders to get the landing areas surveyed for
the heavy lander.

Los