Prev: Re: Pocket Battleships Next: Re: What about the UN? - Longish

Re: FleetBook Errata

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 05:46:13 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: FleetBook Errata

You wrote:

>I just picked up the fleet book and was hoping that someone had the
errata
>that was posted as I apparently erased that message at some point...

Ask, and it shall be given.  From the depths of my word processor
comes:

John M. Atkinson

Errata for the FT Fleet Book Vol.1, as of May 1998:

With any book, you start to notice the typos as soon as it comes back
from the printers.... there are several in the Fleet Book Vol.1, most
of them in the boxes of text for each ship's specifications. The ones
listed here are those that have been spotted so far, and there may
be a few more lurking in obscure places. The most important thing is
that of the ones we've found or had pointed out to us, in all cases the
SYSTEMS STATUS DISPLAY panels (the bits that you actually use to play
the game) are CORRECT. The majority of the typos are in the text boxes
where the ship specs are written out, which is annoying but not a
serious problem, but we have listed them all here for players'
convenience.

Page 3: Under "Thruster Pushes", 2nd paragraph: the text reads "6
manoeuvre points" whereas it should read 3.

Page 11: We managed to leave the Points Cost for HULL ARMOUR out of the
Mass and Cost table; Armour boxes should be costed at 2 x MASS used
(ie: 2 points per Armour box), exactly as for Hull Integrity and Drive
Systems costs.

Page 12: In the "Ship classifications and Mass ratings" table, the
entry for "Patrol or Escort Cruiser" should have the abbreviation "CE",
not "E" as printed.

Page 15:  TICONDEROGA CLASS DESTROYER:	The Points Value (NPV) of this
ship should read 100, not 41. The Procurement Cost should read 1000
MUcr, not 410.

Page 16: FURIOUS CLASS ESCORT CRUISER: Thrust Rating for this ship is
4, as shown on the Systems Display; the Technical Specifications box
lists it as 6, which is incorrect.

Page 16: VANDENBURG CLASS HEAVY CRUISER: There is a Pulse Torpedo
system listed in the Tech Specs which should not be there; the Systems
Display panel is correct.

Page 17: MAJESTIC CLASS BATTLECRUISER: There is an ADFC system listed
in the Tech Specs which should not be there; the Systems Display panel
is correct.

Page 19: ARK ROYAL CLASS FLEET SUPERCARRIER: There is a superfluous
"crew factor" star next to one of the PDS Systems on the Systems
Display, which should be ignored. (We believe this is actually Able
Spacehand Eugene P. Funk, who is in hiding to avoid being put on Damage
Control detail again.......)

Page 25:  SZENT ISTVAN CLASS BATTLEDREADNOUGHT: There are only 3 PDS
systems listed in the Tech Specs; there should be 4.  The Systems
Display panel is correct.

Page 33: JEANNE D'ARC CLASS FLEET CARRIER: There are only 3 Fighter
Bays listed in the Tech Specs; there should be 7.  The Systems Display
panel is correct.

Page 36: VOLGA CLASS SUPER DESTROYER: There is only 1 PDS System listed
in the Tech Specs; there should be 2.  The Systems Display panel is
correct.

Page 36: TIBET CLASS LIGHT CRUISER: There is only 1 Fire Control System
listed in the Tech Specs; there should be 2.  The Systems Display panel
is correct.

Page 39:  ROSTOV CLASS BATTLEDREADNOUGHT:  The descriptive text box for
this ship is incorrect; it is a copy of the text for the Manchuria
Class. The text box  for the Rostov should read:

"The Rostov is the BDN class of the "family" of ship designs from the
Tsien-Valkov design bureau, which began with the Manchuria BCs at the
start of the 2170s. All of the designs are well armed and protected,
with good drive power, and are giving the ESU Navy a much-needed boost
in its strike capabilities. As with most BDNs, the Rostov carries a
single embarked fighter group for both anti-shipping and ground support
operations. Five built-to-order Rostovs were exported to the Pan
African Union between 2178 and 79, to form the major battleline
strength of the PAU's rapidly-expanding and modernising navy; this sale
was purely a political move, which somewhat upset the ESU Admiralty who
(understandably) felt that their own requirements for replacement fleet
units should have taken priority."

Jon Tuffley, May 1998.

Prev: Re: Pocket Battleships Next: Re: What about the UN? - Longish