Prev: [ANNOUNCE] - FT Computer Core Next: Re: FleetBook Errata

Re: Pocket Battleships

From: <KueckH@a...>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 06:45:56 EDT
Subject: Re: Pocket Battleships

Hi everyone !!!

John wrote:
>Does anyone know a more historically-based term I could use
>and an abbreviation thereof?  I recall that the Germans built
>small battleships which were dubbed "Pocket Battleships" but
>I don't recall if that's an official designation.

They're called "Panzerschiffe" (Armoured Ships) in german and were
classed as Heavy Cruisers towards the end of WW2.
Panzerschiffe were no battleships, but a new class of ships between
Heavy Cruisers and Battlecruisers. They were optimized for commerce
raiding and not to fight other warships above cruiser size. I don't know
of any official (english) designation for them.

Tschüß !!!
Hauke

Prev: [ANNOUNCE] - FT Computer Core Next: Re: FleetBook Errata