Prev: Pre-GenCon GZGs Bash. Next: RE: Strange Idea FT2

Re: Strange Idea FT2

From: Binhan Lin <Binhan.Lin@U...>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 23:48:30 -0600 (MDT)
Subject: Re: Strange Idea FT2

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998 therubydragon@mail.geocities.com wrote:

> Hell-o Every bobey. In my first game of FT the scale I used was
> 10sec. turns and 1000km to the inch. Why 10sec you ask? It was the
> first time I could think of. Anyway to make this semi worth reading
> here is a rough 0.526874547589634% formed Idea. For troop transports
> instead of using Landing craft why don't you just land the whole ship
> on the planet. Instant base, and alot of extra mass for the troops! I
> would just hate to try to attack a mass 500 fully streamlind thrust 8
> troop transport with 50 mass of MILTARY weapons and 200 mass for
> troops. Mind you it would be EXPENSIVE but hey it would be difrent!
> Please respond to this message in some way shape or form. I am unsure
> if any of my messages have gotten to all you happy little
> peace-loving peple on the list ;-)!
> Aaron Davis
> www.geocities.com/timessquare/castle/8274/index.html
> davisrc@king.igs.net

The only physical question is - where would you land??	With that much
concentrated mass, you would sink a few meters into most terrain, with
the
exception of spaceports, or if the displacement were high enough, float
in
water. THis would severely limit the usefulness of the transport...

Historical example would be the German WWII Maus tank.	It was so
massive
and had such a high ground pressure that it would tear up paved streets
and movement cross country was nearly impossible.

--Binhan

Prev: Pre-GenCon GZGs Bash. Next: RE: Strange Idea FT2