Prev: Re: Vector movement question was (Re: Movement types etc) Next: Re: No Good Guys? (Re: ATTN Jon T: Free CalTex Government and Society?)

Re: No Good Guys?

From: laserlight <laserlight@m...>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 21:01:10 -0400
Subject: Re: No Good Guys?

> It's a reflection of real life.  Almost every nation has an atrocity
in
its
> history or has turned a blind eye to a bad situation to protect its
> interests.

  It may be realistic but it's lousy storytelling.  If you want the grit
and grime, you can have it; but don't you get enough in real life?  When
play, I want villains and heroes and no confusing which is which.  The
heroes are never perfect, and the villains aren't necessarily completely
evil--but you know who to cheer for.
  Generally the hero is the outnumbered, outgunned little guy who stands
up
for his principles despite the enormous potential cost (I grant you,
real
life examples of nations that act this way are not just instantly
leaping
to mind--although we might perhaps argue that Britain acted this way in
WWII ?).   The Napoleon of Notting Hill, by GK Chesterton, examines this
idea at more length and is considerably more interesting than my
writing...