Prev: RE: Movement types Next: Re: Drifting to DSII (longish I think.)(mabey OT I don't know)

Re: Movement types (was:RE: Savasku Questions)

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 09:50:54 +0100
Subject: Re: Movement types (was:RE: Savasku Questions)

G'day all,

>Glad to hear you like the vector system; any experience yet as to how
>newcomers to the game get on with it at first?
>
>Jon (GZG)

As a newcomer I'd say fairly well. I'd picked up how to execute movement
within a couple of turns, though figuring out exactly how to go where I
wanted took a couple of games and a few spectacular collisions with
planets/enemy ships/my ships :)

Must admit that one of the other guys here had great troubles with it,
but
then again he has great troubles with cinematic movement too. Yes he is
worry - he's one of those guys who always moves last and his ships seem
have this miraculous ability to follow your movements exactly...

Overall though I wouldn't say that people find vector movement difficult
-
though for the purposes of huge fleet battles cinematic movement may
still
be the better option, especially with regard to keeping track of courses
etc. (bumped arrows could become a nightmare once there's a heap of
ships
on the table). One solution my husband figured out to the bumped arrow
problem was to clearly specify one side of the table as 12 and then use
numbered counters (1-12) which are placed next to your ship indicating
which course you're on (your ship placement still indicates facing),
when
you move you leave it at the start point so you can work out your new
course at the end of the movement then you pick up the old one and put
the
new one down next to your ship (its proved to be fast and essentially
tamper proof).

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax (03) 6232 5199 International +61 3 6232 5199

Prev: RE: Movement types Next: Re: Drifting to DSII (longish I think.)(mabey OT I don't know)