Prev: re: Space Fleet foo (was RE: The Phalons (But with serious on topic questions stuck on the bottom)) Next: RE: The Phalons (But with serious on topic questions stuck on the bottom)

RE: Fiddling with units

From: Noah Doyle <nvdoyle@m...>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 23:19:13 -0500
Subject: RE: Fiddling with units

Actually, one of my sticking points for the DS2/FT interface is that 1
turn
be the same length in both systems.  This allows simultaneous play to be

resolved in a much better fashion, and gives a better feel.  I also like

the 15 min space turn - it goes more towards sub combat than the
fighters-in-space feel (which has it's place, but not in my FT games).
Low
thrusts don't bother me - they work fine for either straight FT (hey,
it's
a reactionless drive - I don't *care* how inefficient it is) or Low Tech
FT
(this is what you got - now fly it, sailor).  The 7500km/15 min setup is
little better - most planets are on-table, and you're talking about some

hefty boosts in the smaller ships - 4 gs is nothing to sneeze at (and
when
your fighters boost at 24 gs - yikes).	You want those compensators to
avoid the 'Flattened Crew Syndrome'. We're not up to the Star Trek
'Chunky
Salsa' problem, but FT ships don't go from rest to 0.5c in seconds.  But

back to the original position, it's also far more elegant to have a 1:1
space/ground turn ratio; situations can be resolved simultaneously, in a

much easier fashion.

Noah