Prev: Re: Historicon anyone? Next: Strategic Movement (was Re: LaGrange...)

Re: LaGrange Points, others

From: John Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 15:52:53 -0700
Subject: Re: LaGrange Points, others

Noah Doyle wrote:

>	  Do you assume that the travel from planet to edge of system is
> rest-to-rest (i.e., must be at relative rest to jump): or that you
> accelerate all the way to the EOS, jump, and then decelerate in the
> destination system (a la Cherryh's 'Chanur' books)?
...Snip...JTL

Noah,

     The EOS concept we are using does not make or need that type
of calculation or accuracy.

1) EOS to any planet in the system equals one (stratigic) turn.
2) Planet to planet in the system equals one (stratigic) turn.
3) Stratigic hex/EOS to adjoining hex equals one (stratigic) turn.

     FTL sensors located on planets in the system can tell the
system owner the direction of the incoming ship.
(This is all based on the well known 'rock in pond' theory of
wave motion.)
1 sensor gives the notice of arrival.
2 sensors gives a choice of two hexsides for the arriving ship.
  (Two points determine a line to one of two hexsides.)
3 sensors gives the specific hex/direction of entry.
  ( three points determine a circle with the incoming ship in the
   middle.)

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: Historicon anyone? Next: Strategic Movement (was Re: LaGrange...)