Prev: Re: SG II rules clarification re: GMS and SAW's mind bender Next: RE: NAC units, was Odd FT Idea

RE: NAC units, was Odd FT Idea

From: Niall Gilsenan <ngilsena@i...>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 12:03:03 +0100
Subject: RE: NAC units, was Odd FT Idea

At 21:03 08/07/98 -0500, you wrote:
>You wrote:
>
>>Hmm.. Depends on your capability to /apply/ that much larger economic
>muscle. We've n >had this arguement before, but just to make a
>
>>colonies to a degree. Doesn't matter that you have a much more
>powerful economy if  >trade is next to nil. Doesn't matter if you have
>a bigger Navy if the nearest ship is 3  >weeks  travel away. Unless you

>I guess it all comes down to how interconnected is your interpretation
>of the background.  In mine, based on the number of convoy escort
>scenarios, there's a lot of trade, and tight-knit nations with strong
>central governments.  But YMMV, and from the prior discussion the list
>is pretty well spread from one extreme to the other.  It's a matter of
>taste.  As for me, I like playing convoy escort scenarios (it's so much

>more interesting than Fleet A flys at Fleet B and they try to bash
>eachother into the ground) so I'm going to write my background so they
>are frequent.	:)
>
>John

It is rather satisfying to smash up or capture enemy supplies.	Blockade
running scenarios can be the most interesting in many ways.  Trying to
break through the blockade with a small concentrated force while the
larger
enemy fleet (most likely being spread out) tries to regroup to prevent
the
supply run.

As to the FT universe I would have presumed a lot of trade takes place
but
between larger colony worlds mainly.  Until they built up a reasonable
manufacturing base on new colonies I doubt it would be worthwhile to
make
the trip out to these new worlds for most traders.

This might depend on who actually owns the freight capacity in the FT
universe.  Are there lots of  free traders large shipping lines or a
solid
mix of both?  Or does it all rely on merchant navies?
Niall Gilsenan,
DIT Cathal Brugha St,
Dublin 1,
Ireland.
http://members.tripod.com/~Cwintel/Scifi.html

Prev: Re: SG II rules clarification re: GMS and SAW's mind bender Next: RE: NAC units, was Odd FT Idea