Prev: Re: TNE Aslan Minis Next: Re: TNE Aslan Minis

Re: (Stupid BMP tricks)

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 23:35:34 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: (Stupid BMP tricks)

You wrote:

>, the gun on the BMP gun remains one of the most powerful ones on an
IFV. >What do you expect them to do put a tank main gun on an APC? Just
about >every IFV in the world has a autocannon of some sort. Very few
have the >extra bonus of a meaningful HE lobber. Just what infantry
need in a >number of differnt scenarios. The 100mm semi-automatic gun
is designed >forfiring HE rounds. It doesn't fire HE rounds, but does
carry the >missile.

Actually, I don't like encouraging infantrymen to play tanker in the
first place.  Prefer to split the vehicles into AT and APC versions.
Why?  Coz if you engage with the TOW at 3.5km like God and the
designers intended the TOW to be used (Why?  Max effective range on a
T-72's main gun is 3km.  Hence you did your anti-tank ditch 3.4km from
a significant terrain feature, put your ITVs behind it, and you've got
a significant chunk of the NATO defense plan for West Germany), your
infantry has to walk 3.5km under fire to get to where they are useful.
If you get close, you're wasting a lot of range, and then someone tries
to get into a slogging match at point-blank range.  That works against
Iraqis with ageing T-55s and Iraqi-manufactured ammo that can't
penetrate tinfoil.  It won't against an army that could find it's arse
with both hands and a flashlight.

But anyway, I do like the point about HE rounds.  Nothing says loving
like light artillery.  :) How, I wonder, would I simulate this in
Dirtside?  Maybe a LVC--Low Velocity Cannon.  As HVC, but 6" less on
each range band, 1 less chit vs. armor, but 1 more vs. infantry than
HVC, plus you get a GMS/L system for half the capacity points?	Only
comes in sizes 3-5, after all it's gotta be big enough to be
worthwhile.

Let's see.  That makes the BMP-3 work out to

2xTeams 8(Dunno the capacity, so using general guideline)
LVC/3	9
RFAC/2	4
GMS/L	1

For a total of 22.  Assume 6-man team and it's a size four vehicle.
Wow.  This needs work.

>I had a chance to check these things out in Kuwait. In their attempt
to >make everybody happy they've gone ahead and bought a bunch of these
>things from the Russians as well as chinese artillery, Russain T90s
and >US M1A1 tanks) The Kuwaits drive thes ethings all over the place,

If their doctrine is like their equipment selection. . . Nations you
DON'T want to be responsible for finding spare parts for.

in >harsh conditions (they're not very caring with their stuff), and

If it breaks you can always buy a new one, right?

>Reliability of the vehicle and it's lethality rest almost exclusively
in >the hands of who is using it. You put M1A2s and M3s into the hands

Russian stuff is better about that--it's designed to be operated by
conscripts with little training and less education.  Or at least it
used to be.

>many people don't get when they start harping about technology being
the >key factor of army effectiveness.

What was that some author said about a man with a crossbow who knows
how to use it in the right place is worth ten armored divisions that
are broken down, lost, or late?

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: TNE Aslan Minis Next: Re: TNE Aslan Minis