Prev: Re: Advanced Guided Missile systems (and prose) Next: Re: A bit OT - Strine (was B5)

Re: A bit OT - Strine (was B5)

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 1998 01:13:19 +1000
Subject: Re: A bit OT - Strine (was B5)

Los wrote:

> I think JMS has something against Australians. Did you guys ever
notice that just
> about every crook, murderer, bully, and ring leader in down below is
Australian?
> Whats up with that?

Obviously he knows us.

Some Strine for you:

Strine - Australian variety of English (obsolescent, not often used)

Oz - God's Own Country, also the Dags on the Arse end of the world. The
only people to accurately chart the Australian love/hate relationship
with Oz were Dr Paul Linebarger (Nostrilia) and funnily enough Paul
Theroux (The Happy Isles of Oceania).

Aussie - Denizens of Oz. NOT Ozzies (married to Harriets) or Ossies
(German term for the denizens of the late unlamented East Germany).

Septic - Rhyming slang for Septic Tank, hence Yank, hence citizens of
the United States of America. As in "A Septic MBT on the wrong side of
the road".

Reffo - short form of Refugee, hence any immigrant whatsoever, from Boat
People to Billionaires.

Septic Reffo - an immigrant to Australia from the USA. Oz is unique in
that there's about as many USAians coming here permanently as Aussies
leaving for the US.

Ex-pat - Expatriot, usually an Aussie permanently or semi-permanently
domiciled overseas, especially SE Asia.

Fair Dinkum? - "Really?" "Is that true?" As in "His dice were loaded?
Fair Dinkum?" Without the question, becomes affirmation "That's lower
than a snake's belly, Fair Dinkum!" or exclamation of amazement, as in
"And his Frigates all had Futtock Guns? Fair Dinkum!"

Galah, Drongo, Dill, Nong - Idiot, Moron. (A Galah is a Rose-breasted
Cockatoo) With a subtle change of pronunciation, a Gala performance can
be accurately described for the cognoscenti and literati.

Squizz, Gook, Decko - A look. As in "Have a gook at this".

Wankology - Intellectual Self-Abuse.

Wanker - practioner of (usually intellectual) self-abuse, similar. As in
"I saw a telecast of the US Senate yesterday. What a bunch of Wankers!"

Bullshit Artist - a Wanker

Vegemite Miners, Turd Burglars - practicers of sodomy (not exactly
insulting, but use with care to avoid giving offence)

Bloody - Sometimes used as an afirmation, more often just a space
between  words.

US - Unserviceable. As in "This bloody tap's US"

Karked it, Pegged it, Fell off the twig, Kicked the Bucket - Died.

Bugger - person. Often used as suffix for Old, Mad, Poor. As in "He ran
into a tree at 90, Poor Bugger." "Some Old Bugger karked it there."
"Some  Mad Bugger shot a bunch of people."

Silly Bugger - person engaging in horseplay, skylarking or innatentive,
as in "Stop playing Silly Buggers and get on with it, you Bloody Dill!"

Poofters - Gay Males. Use with care to avoid giving offence, really only
usable by Gays themselves, or by anyone when jokingly referring to the
Third Rule.

And two suprises for Septics....

Coon - Australia's Favourite Cheese. Really.

Rubber - an eraser, something for rubbing out pencil marks.

Finally..... Dr Paul Linebarger mentiopned above (better known as
Cordwainer Smith) had a good inkling of the Australian Defence
mentality. Read "Mother Hitton's Littul Kittons", then have a squizz at
JORN :-)

 abrain@cs.adfa.oz.au  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: Advanced Guided Missile systems (and prose) Next: Re: A bit OT - Strine (was B5)