Prev: Re: sniper weapons for SGII Next: Wacky Idea #217

Re: sniper weapons for SGII

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 09:55:50 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: sniper weapons for SGII

You wrote:

>If they can make it work again I dont see why they would not.	Using
>Dual-Gas-Compression chamger systems an infantry portable rifle can
kill a >big chunk of armor.  Get at it from the side or rear and you
wont need just >a whole lot of power anyway.  And with the ATR you dont
need to hang out >and see if you hit the target like ATM are wont to
do.

The last ATR in regular military service was, IIRC, the Lahti 20mm used
by the Finnish Army during WWII up until the end of the war.  Maybe the
Ruskie held onto their 13mm peashooters a bit longer, I dunno.	But
anyway, this Lahti was a semi-automatic conversion with bipod of an
aircraft cannon.  Indeed, some were left full-auto.  :)  Anyway, this
thing could gut a BT-series tank, and even kill a T-34 from the rear at
close range, but was decidedly obsolete by 1944.  Panzerfausts became
the Finnish weapon of choice for dismounted tank-killing.  I don't care
what kind of ammo or what kind of chamber system you've got on it, no
rifle can put the sort of energy down-range that a shoulder-fired
rocket can.

John

Prev: Re: sniper weapons for SGII Next: Wacky Idea #217