Prev: Re: Troop Capacity Next: Re: Troop Capacity

Operational Level Game with Sensor Rules

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 13:48:52 -0700
Subject: Operational Level Game with Sensor Rules

Hello,
	I've been watching the discussion regarding the use of
electronic warfare,
sensors, etc. with some interest.  The challenge is to design a system
that
is enjoyable, simple and models the effect we're working on.
	Having worked as an electronic warfare officer and a fire
control officer,
I think I have a pretty good idea of how to do this.
	First, most Electronic Counter Measure work is done against an
aquisition
sensor, not a Fire Control sensor.  The Fire Control sensor has a lot of
energy in a tight beam, and is very hard to jam or fool at comperable
levels.  On the other hand, the Fire Control Radar is like looking
through
a straw, you can't scan the galaxy with it.  If the aquisition sensor
does
not see the target, you can't shoot at it.  More importantly, you can't
respond to it.
	Given my comments on how powereful a large ship is in the game
and all
this discusion, why have scouts?
	Here's my proposal, generate an Operational level game.
	While the Full Thrust rules give a strategic map for a campeign,
we can
introduce an operational level map that show the solar system.
	Take a hex map with an overal hex shap and put the star in the
center with
the planets at different distances.  Include gas giants, trojan points
for
heavy asteroid fields, Rings with debris, etc.
	Ships in task groups who enter the system arrive on the edge of
the system
corresponding to where they came from on the strategic hex.  Randomly
assign their arrival point along that edge.
	Now comes the importance of sensors and fast ships.  Ships move
a speed
proportional to their slowest ship.  Take the slowest ship in the group
and
divide by two rounding down.  This is how far the group moves per
Operational Turn.  All ships must be in a task group.  Neutrino streams
will tell a task group at any range where a task group is and how many
ships are in it, nothing more.
	Sensors will tell the owner a bit more as they get closer.  The
range of a
standard sensor is within its own hex, Enhanced one hex out and Superior
two hexes out.	The information gained is the mass of each ship rounded
the nearest ten.  However, weasel systems can be used to inflate the
size
factor of a ship.  In the FT3 rules for each mass devoted to the Weasel
system 10 mass factors is portrayed.  Weasel Systems cost 4 * Mass.
	Therefore, a task force has the effective range of its best
sensor.
Fighter screens could be used one hex out from the task force, but then
would have to be recovered and reloaded for combat.  I even imagine
patrol
craft that are fighter sized and have a 1/2 mass enhanced sensor aboard
(Viking/Hawkeye).
	Jamming systems can be purchased.  Let me work on this part
more.
However, they should also have a quality gradient(basic, enhanced,
superior) as well as their range (self or escort jamming).
	Players move their task forces on the Operational map using
either
simultaneous movement or alternating until all units have moved.  If an
encounter occurs, you have the forces enter the tactical board from a
rough
"hex" side.  If a fleet is attack from more than one direction then have
the enemy enter from multiple sides.
	In the Tactical scale combat, we can adjust the rules so that a
sensor
roll is not used just to scan the enemy ship, but to localize the
target.
Effectively the enemy ship remains a bogey until its is successfully
detected/localized.  You can't shoot at bogeys.  Ships could buy stealth
levels based on a percentage of mass devoted to stealthing.  Now we have
battle between stealth and sensors to deteremine the range at which a
successfull localization occurs.  Of course, once a ship is localized,
all
friendly ships will get the localization data.
	Now we have to limit the number and size of a task group.  With
different
qualities of commanders, we can have normal ship commanders, intrepid
commanders, and squadron commanders.
	Normal Commanders are line Captains that can command their
ships, but you
want to keep them close, no cost.
	Intrepid Commanders are line Captains that you can trust to send
out on
their own to do scouting missions, etc.  You can trust them out of sight
and will be used to conduct lone missions.
	Squadron Commanders are Commodores and Admirals of different
quality who
can command a squadron or fleet of warships.  Their individual capacity
should limit the number of ships they can command, as well as the size
of
the flag bridge available on the flag ship.  So even if Admiral Haulsey
is
on a frigate, he may not have the resources available to use his talents
full effect.
	Given that each task force will be randomly assigned for its
entry point
on the Operational map, you need to strike a balance for how many
character
points to put into what type of commanders.  Put all your eggs in one
basket and get flanked.  Spread the skills out too much and get
destroyed
in detail...
	I think that all of this would make an interesting mini-campeign
similar
to the Western Pacific campeign of WW II.

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto!

Prev: Re: Troop Capacity Next: Re: Troop Capacity