Prev: Re: SG2 Bunkers/Buildings rules(long) Next: Re: Troop Capacity

Re: Troop Capacity

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 21:37:43 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Troop Capacity

You wrote:

>Yes, but on a planet you can bother with having a LOT of them. 20 at
>a defense site don't miss very often at all, 40 miss even less. etc.
>etc. Ships run out of space, planets don't.

Remember, I'm assuming on a core planet with full-up defenses, this is
more or less impossible.  Remember I'm the one who argues that space
warfare can't touch colonies with a few million inhabitants?  Given
that the FT/DS/SG universe doesn't have a lot of combat-capable AIs,
there is a limit to the firepower a 100,000 inhabitant colony can man.
Remember you've already whacked a small orbital defense fleets (even if
it's a destroyer, 2 frigates, 4 corvettes and a half-dozen scouts),
enemy aerospace fighters, and they've got ground troops waiting for you
on the ground.	That's why it will be aerospace fighters.  It only
takes one or two SLM launch sites to wipe out small ships and a
half-dozen to ruin the day of even a capital ship.  But providing crew
for 40 or 80 or 10,000 PDS will strain the food surpluses of even the
best colony.

John

Prev: Re: SG2 Bunkers/Buildings rules(long) Next: Re: Troop Capacity