Prev: Re: Troop Capacity Next: Re: Troop Capacity

Re: Troop Capacity

From: "Richard Slattery" <richard@m...>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 17:02:03 +0000
Subject: Re: Troop Capacity

On 19 Jun 98 at 11:07, Tony Christney wrote:

> At 05:40 PM 6/19/98 +0000, you wrote:

[snip]

> >I suppose that of the fighters are successful you start the invasion
> >proper, but what can a little aerospace fighter carry that a
> >starship can't that goes through the many meters of armour that the
> >SML's are under, that itself can stave off starship mounted weapons.
> >(sorry for the sentence structure)
>
> Speed is the key. A starship in orbit has to wait while the planet
> rotates under it in order to target a particular point. Several
> squadrons of aerospace fighters can attack places all over the
> planet simultaneously. This suprise factor would likely be critical
> to overcoming the planetary defences.

This doesn't follow. A starship in orbit can pop around to the other
side of the planet in a short time by manuevering. FT ships manuever
pretty fast compared to the size of a planet.
Planetary defenses are going to be all over the planets surface,
having a blind spot is a critical weakness. So attacking all over the
place means getting shot down all over the place. You have to
concentrate on creating a opening, then exploiting it. Also, a planet
is going to field it's own aerospace fighters. The trick is that the
attacker can choose where to attack, while the defender has to defend
many places.
Possible invasion tactic would be thus:
Defeat/drive off defensive space navy.
Drop aerospace fighters with a lot of dummy emmiters, make a
concentrated attack on the planetary defenses in that area to allow
your fleet to mount an invasion.
Spread out from that location, using the horizon as your main defense
against planetary defenses, roll out the attack to other key targets.

Richard Slattery	     richard@mgkc.demon.co.uk
The word aerobics comes from two Greek words: aero, meaning 'ability
to,' and bics, meaning 'withstand tremendous
boredom.'
     Dave Barry

Prev: Re: Troop Capacity Next: Re: Troop Capacity