Prev: Re: What makes a Carrier? (ftfb) Next: Re: Communication and Travel

Re: Planetary invasion ramblings (longish)

From: Jeff Lyon <jefflyon@m...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 07:47:41 -0500
Subject: Re: Planetary invasion ramblings (longish)

At 01:53 AM 6/14/98 +0000, you wrote:
>> Unfortunately, starships are too valuable a resource to just park in
>> orbit forever.  If they move on, the odds become a little more even.
>>  Although the invaders can leave their own satellites in orbit, a
>> hidden laser or surface-to-space missile may be able to knock them
>> down.
>
>Surely habitable planets are the *one* thing that *is* important
>enough to leave warships around. Perhaps SDBs and not FTL ships,
>but well worth the investment.

True, but they are much better utilized patrolling nearby space or
engaging
enemy space forces and reinforcement convoys than they are parked in
orbit
for months on end serving as glorified recon sats and orbital fire
support
platforms.  Sure, there may be a few left behind and your point about
SDBs
is a good one (though less so with the advent of the FB, I suspect) but
no
one could afford to leave their whole invasion fleet "parked" waiting
for
the chance to bombard a few partisans.	And when they move on, the
invader's biggest advantage becomes less pronounced.

Jeff

Prev: Re: What makes a Carrier? (ftfb) Next: Re: Communication and Travel