Prev: Re: Troop Capacity Next: Re: Communication and Travel

Re: Communication and Travel

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 19:14:22 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Communication and Travel

You wrote:

>There seems to be an assumption that the various powers are the only
ones >colonising.  What about private firms and groups? Similar I

A private firm that attempted to plant a colony would a)Have it 'taken
under the protection of' a major power, or b)provide it with the
firepower to prevent same.

>find even if some are perfectly viable.  Why not farm them out to
>corporations or ethnic groupings (Remember the Scottish Ethnic planets
in >Julian Mays books).

Ethnically based (especially ethnic groups/subgroups with a persecution
complex, real or imagined) colonies would tend to have a Swiss/Israeli
model military (if high-tech) or 'Minuteman' sort of ethic if lowtech.
And a motivation to go guerilla if they loose out.  Guerilla wars are
hard to win--but even harder to supress guerillas with a
batallion-sized force.	You need large numbers of quality light
infantry.  They'll fight, and a million light infantry, even if
irregularly equipped is enough to give any armored commander in close
terrain major headaches.  Just ask the Ruskies about going into
countries full of irregularly equipped people with ethnic pride.  All
it takes a couple dozen IAVRs and fancy tanks tend to go boom real
quick (last DS game I played was with hidden units, and the owner of
the high-tech force didn't ask about a certain hidden unit until it
activated, turned out to be an infantry platoon, and sent a full
platoon of size 4 tanks to the great scrapyard in the sky).

John

Prev: Re: Troop Capacity Next: Re: Communication and Travel