Prev: Re: Communication and Travel Next: Re: Nova Cannons

RE: Communication and Travel

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 22:48:46 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: RE: Communication and Travel

You wrote:

>Israel is not a colony so I can't see the comparison.	When I think of

Given it wasn't even a theoretical concept 100 years ago, had
negligable amounts Jews actually living there until what, 70 or so
years ago (Even in 1948, 600K Jews, a tenth of today's population), and
no real industry until the past 50 (or less) years, there are certain
comparisions that could be made.

>colony I think of early settlers/homesetters much like colonial
america >ie - not a lot in terms of weapons, small arms for sure, but
nothing >comparable to a 'Space Marine' force.

Depends on rate of colonization, local hostile natives (not a major
problem in most space settings) et al.	Remember ship sizes and speed
of transit, too.  And after 171 years (Jamestown in 1607 to 1776) of
slow, fitful, lowtech colonization, we were too big to conquer, and
that's with a very high level of loyalty to mother country--we were
defending ourselves pretty well against Indians and Frenchmen (note no
joke here--it was difficult, but I resisted) many years before.  That
is also with pre-industrial capabilities, no medicine to speak of,
animal-powered farming, etc, etc, etc.

>When you get to the size of 6 million inhabitants I would consider the
>planet habitated.

Of course--and practically unconquerable.

And let's not get into colonies with a religious, philisophical, or
nationalistic motivator to resist, even through guerilla warfare. . .

John

Prev: Re: Communication and Travel Next: Re: Nova Cannons