Prev: Re: Nea Rhomaioi was ...Re: Communication and Travel Next: RE: Communication and Travel

Re: Communication and Travel

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 22:39:05 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Communication and Travel

You wrote:

>I disagree. Israel is a technologically advanced state supported by an
>extra-structure of advanced states in close proximity. A FT colony,

Excuse?  Israel has states supporting via economic aid and military
sales, all of which are quite possible in FT universe.	And only once
has needed rapid replenishment--and that's because it has neighbors
with hostile intentions and lots of tanks a few feet away.  Not the
case with your average extra-solar colony.

>is most liklely at least a week's transit from any support, would be
>reliant on lower technology, and wouldn't have nearly the work-force
>surplus available for a standing military.

Minor note:  Israel has, in the past 60 years, created it's population
from almost scratch, it's economy from less than that, and heavy
industry from nothing.	I submit that given a half-century of growth a
nation will have the capability to hold it's own.  Especially if it
doesn't have to deal with a lot of genocidal neighbors invading once a
decade.

John

Prev: Re: Nea Rhomaioi was ...Re: Communication and Travel Next: RE: Communication and Travel