Prev: Re: Fleet Book Errata ? Next: Re: Crew for Space Stations

Re: DSII Guided Missile System Proposal

From: Brian Bell <brian.bell@a...>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 1998 18:19:33 +0100
Subject: Re: DSII Guided Missile System Proposal

> I would like to propose a change to the GMS/L and GMS/H systems as
used
> in DSII
>
> They are purchased as individual missiles.
> GMS/H=1 Space
> GMS/L=0.5 Space

This would greatly decrease the value of the missile systems. They are
currently:  GMS/H = 4 Spaces (Size 2)
  GMS/L = 2 Space  (Size 1)
This includes unlimited loads of missiles. Cutting the size by 1/4 for
reducing the number of shots to 4 for the same size is a great
reduction. It would also increase the clutter on the board of having to
keep track of missiles.

> Also, the number of missiles that may be launched are based on the
> guidance used by the launching platform.
>
> Basic=1 Missile
> Enhanced=2 Missiles
> Superior=3 Missiles
>
> Thsi would allow accurate representation of IFVs like the Russion BMP
>    that carry a ATGM on a rail above the gun barrel as well as attack
>    helicopters able to engage multiple targets in the span of a few
>    seconds.

I would rather see this as number of targets that multiple missiles may
target. That is, if you have 3 GSM/L's but only a basic guidance, you
could only launch them at the same target, but if you have superior
guidance, you could target 3 seperate targets (within a set diameter ie.
6" radius). However, even this seems to violate the DS2 principal of
only being able to target one vehicle regardless of how many weapon
systems you have.  In a futuristic setting, I have always felt that this
may be unrealistic (AI assisted fire-and-forget weapons). I would have
prefered that the maximum number of targets would depend on the quality
of the unit:
  Green: 1 target max.
  Regular: 2 targets max.
  Veteran:  3 targets max.
and the number of turrets (1 per turret + any fixed guns).

> I think also that ADS and LAD systems need to expand their defensive
> umbrellas to 48" so that missile armed gunships stop smoking them from
> beyond their engagement envelope.

 This is a change that NEEDS to be made.

--
Brian Bell
brian.bell@axom.com

The Full Thrust Ship Registry
http://www.axom.com/bkb/fthome.html
Dirtside II Site
http://www.axom.com/bkb/ds2main.html
Stargrunt II Site
http://www.axom.com/bkb/sg2.html
Cygnus Eclipsers' Science Fiction Games Page
http://www.axom.com/bkb/scifi_game.html

Prev: Re: Fleet Book Errata ? Next: Re: Crew for Space Stations