Prev: Re: GZG ICQ Community(what about IRC?) Next: Re: GZG ICQ Community(what about IRC?)

Re: GZG ICQ Community(what about IRC?)

From: Niall Gilsenan <ngilsena@i...>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 02:53:51 +0200
Subject: Re: GZG ICQ Community(what about IRC?)

At 11:13 23/05/98 +1000, you wrote:
>>Just some news about ICQ...
>>Its been bought out for $300 Million by AOL.	So forget about it ever
being
>>useful or user-friendly again.  Just a personal opinion.
>>Presumably this will mean it becomes expensive to use (ie. its not
geing to
>>be free anymore).
>>Sorry to shatter anyones illusions, but thats life for you.
>

>Where did this news come from?
>
>Rumours are continually circulating the ICQ network of ICQ being
"bought" or
>"not being free" or "charging 10c for every message sent" or some other
guff
>like that.
>
>Personally, I wouldn't believe ANYTHING anyone told you about ICQ until
you
>heard it direct from Mirabilis.
>
>Anyone want to reply to this message, please do via private email to
>jsadler@earthling.net, as this thread is now completely off topic! :)

I'm desperately trying not to have the last word but... the info came
from
the website of an Israeli paper.  I don't have the address on this
machine,
but there were 3 articles.  One contained the news of the sale, the next
was one on the letters of protest being sent by ICQ users, the last
article
was a more business oriented article detailing how AOL were doing a
share
deal in order to buy out the company.  To me it looked genuine.

Anyway, pardon me continuing a dead thread.
Niall Gilsenan,
DIT, Cathal Brugha St,
Dublin 1,
Ireland.

Prev: Re: GZG ICQ Community(what about IRC?) Next: Re: GZG ICQ Community(what about IRC?)