Prev: Re: Mobile mines Next: Re: Mobile mines

Re: Mines 8 (!)

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 15:02:16 +0300 (EET DST)
Subject: Re: Mines 8 (!)

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Christopher E. Ronnfeldt wrote:

> There were a few problems with stealing enemy supplies:
>
> 1) The Japanese Arisaka rifle was a 6.5mm - less punch and ammo not
> compatable w/ Springfield and Garand rifles.

I kind of included stealing guns in stealing supplies.

> Neither of these is insurmountable, and USFIP did steal IJA weapons
and
> ammunition. The use of oddball low-tech reloads for for .30-06 weapons
> was done primarily for the purpose of keeping as many weapons in use
as
> possible.

But still, I wonder about the primers. I am familiar with the simplicity
of producing firearms and reloading. Actually, producing the guns
themselves is simpler -- all you need is good grade steel and hand
tools.
One Finn made a fully working, original design semi-automatic 9mm pistol
out of scrap metal while at the front. The most complicated tool he used
has a hand file, and the gun is still in working condition. And he was a

shoemaker by trade and training.

Making ammo, OTOH, is harder because it requires chemistry. And the
hardest part of that is making primers. I am not that familiar with
explosives, so I was wondering what did they use because I don't think
just plain TNT does the trick.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Mobile mines Next: Re: Mobile mines