Prev: Re: Low Tech Scenarios Next: Knight Hawks and Star Frontiers Online!

RE: Low Tech Scenarios

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 15:33:15 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: RE: Low Tech Scenarios

You wrote:

>You may wish to reconsider this; the British Martini Henry fired a
large >caliber, low velocity round that inflicted horrendous wounds.
The soft >lead projectile deforms immediately on impact and due to the
large >projectile weight will impart a very large amount of energy to
the >wound. A lot of heavy caliber black powder weapons are like this.

First, Impact die roll represents, among other things, armor
penetration.  No low-velocity lead slug is going to penetrate plastic
composite body armor.  Not gonna happen.

>Lo-tech is relative but should not be equated to Low Effectiveness;
The >rules give a Lo-Tech assault rifle a FP of 2 and Impact of d8.
This >reperesents the M16/AK47 of the 70/80/90s. Not too difficult to
believe >that the Impact of the Martini Henry could be a d10. It is the
FP rating >of 1 I might contest. ROF of how many rounds a minute?
Difficulty in >reloading kneeling or lying?

Note that a hunting rifle of the 22nd Century has a d10.  That
represents, if my experience with modern hunters is _any_ guide, at
least a .30 caliber rifle with a sizable load behind it.  Of modern
powder.  You put black powder in there, and I have to argue for the d8.
 FP of .5, IMHO.  2 is semi-auto/burst fire/auto.  1 is bolt-action.
Breachloading single-shot should be .5, and a muzzle-loader .25.

IMHO.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: Low Tech Scenarios Next: Knight Hawks and Star Frontiers Online!