Prev: Re: SG2/DS2 Unit coherency. Next: RE: Low Tech Scenarios

Re: Low Tech Scenarios

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 15:26:40 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Low Tech Scenarios

You wrote:

>Just look at the Russians versus the Afghan Tribesmen for that.  I'm
not an >expert on it by any means but it looked to me like the Russians
took a >hammering despite having the better technology.

Sure.  But you can look at:

Boers vs. Brits
Zulus vs. Same
Assorted Indians vs. US
Afghans vs. Brits (second go-round, first was a bit unsat)
Assorted Indians (subcontinental, not American) vs. Brits
Tartars vs. Russians
Assorted Africans vs. Assorted Europeans
Chinese vs. Brits
Spartacus vs. Romans
Jews vs. Romans
Serbs vs. Ottomans
FMLN vs. El Salvador
NLF vs. USA (Special Case--but after '68, not a single NLF operation
was launched.  PAVN only)

and a _LOT_ of other cases where insurgents got their ears pinned back
regardless of technology.  A sucessful insurgency requires massive
external support, internal political troubles among the regular
government, and a willingness to take horiffic casualties.  Even when a
guerilla war is sucessful, the nation is so often wrecked so badly that
it's essentially meaningless.

Guerilla warfare is NOT a magic bullet, and can be easily defeated if
you've got the political will to do so.  And it seems to me that most
of the Great Powers of the Dirtside/Stargrunt/Full Thrust universe have
the will in spades.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: SG2/DS2 Unit coherency. Next: RE: Low Tech Scenarios