Prev: FT3 Ship Design Worksheet Now Online Next: Re: Conversions to DSII complete

Re: Random ramblings.

From: NVDoyle <NVDoyle@a...>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 16:00:13 EDT
Subject: Re: Random ramblings.

In a message dated 98-05-17 14:17:59 EDT, lot's o' folks write:

[snip]
<< >>I just bought some hills. ...
 >>and buy a dozen little trees to indicate density (many=thick woods,
one
 >>or two=light woods).  Am considering black felt for blacktop and blue
 >>for rivers.
 >
 >I would suggest also getting some smaller pieces of felt of a
different
 >shade than your base sheet. Cut it into irregular shapes to clearly
 >indicate the extent of a forested area. This will reduce confusion and
 >"I'm in cover"/"No you're not" arguments. But still use the trees; the
 >felt doesn't give the right effect.

 >A plug here for GeoHex's very pretty "Forest Floor" printed sheets,
which
 >can be cut into irregular-shaped pieces for woods - with just a couple
of
 >trees and a little bit of lichen placed on them the end result is both
 >effective in play and very decorative. One pack will give you enough
small
 >wooded areas for an average 6mm battlefield.

[snip]

OK, I must add to this - for really neato effects, I'd go GeoHex all the
way.
If you play DS2/SG2 at all regularly, a GrassScape(?) mat will set you
back
about $35 - worth every darn penny.  Looks a lot better than green felt,
IMHO.
For a neat effect, pick up their Forest Floor sheets (cheap!), and put
your
trees on those.  As mentioned above, this clears up the 'in
forest/forest's
edge/out of forest' arguements.  Those forests lok great when they
border on
of...GeoHex's Farmland Sheets, available in all seasons!  I prefer the
brown
Fall/Harvest color - really sets off against green grass and trees.
This
really gives the battlefield a 'lived-in' look.  Add a little farmhouse,
and
Voila!	A boring grass plain, lightly forested, is transformed into the
Smith
Farm and environs!  Something worth fighting over!  We did this a few
times,
and with enough of the stuff and a few gravel &/or paved roads (GeoHex
has
paved roads, too!) our tables were a pretty good representation of rural
northern Indiana (to simulate southern Indiana, add hills).
Noah V. Doyle

Prev: FT3 Ship Design Worksheet Now Online Next: Re: Conversions to DSII complete