Prev: Re: Low Tech Scenarios Next: Conversions to DSII complete

Re: SG2 Unit Coherency Question

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 13:01:14 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: SG2 Unit Coherency Question

You wrote:

>In SG2, individuals in a unit must adhere to certain coherence rules,
or face >penalties.  As I recall (away from the book), coherency is 2"
in column/line, >or 6" (radius?  diameter?) in an irregular grouping.
>Now, the question:  Why?  Are these distances based on communications
(how far >the Sarge can yell, how far away you can read handsigns?), or
maybe morale >(don't want to be out of sight of your buddies)?	If so,

Remember groundscale.  1" is 10m.  So 20 meter seperation is about as
much as you'd want--that's very loose formation.  Command and control
is one reason.	In areas of thick vegetation, esp at night, you might
be so close that in SG terms the bases would be overlapping.  The rule
of thumb in US is five meters minimum, more in open terrain.

couldn't these be >different for other species (closer/farther)?  If
this assumes modern/post- >modern communications and doctrine, wouldn't
lower-tech troops, or troops from >a different era have more
restrictive coherency rules?  AFAIK, the SG2 rules

Probably.  Remember that up into WWI, most troops were
shoulder-to-shoulder, and even a skirmish line was tighter than modern
troops form up in.

>assume that most troops have individual radios.  Would an action
penalty be in >order for troops that don't?

I'd not worry so much about that until you get to detached units.  To
have guys left behind change what they have been doing might be a
penalty--depending on commo procedures.  You can do a lot with star
clusters and a pre-arranged signal set.

John M. Atkinon

Prev: Re: Low Tech Scenarios Next: Conversions to DSII complete