Prev: Re: EFSB ships systems displays Next: Re: Wire Obstacles

RE: Stargrunt/Dirtside

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 13:42:38 +1000
Subject: RE: Stargrunt/Dirtside

Hi John,

Re: the Dirtside/Stargrunt dilemma, well no-one ever promised that SG
and DS were a seamless join and there a plenty of places where overlaps
and ommissions occur. My advice is "Don't fight the Pink" ie just accept
that there are differences and play the rules as they are. If you need
to meld the two then just be flexible (an oft quoted Principle of War
eh?)

1.	The Dirtside fireteams I think you'll find are 3-5 men and often
include a SAW, the GMS teams are 2-3 men plus cost of GMS which is
effectively the GMS/P of Stargrunt. PA squads in Stargrunt generally use
two APCs, eg NSL TO&E state taht they use one for the troopers and one
for the armour suits.

2.	The APFC belt charge is not really covered in SGII; lets face it
vehicles are not meant to play a huge role in the game. It is menat to
be focused on the infantry firefights. Vehicles are generally just a
battle taxi to get onto or close to the objective or else an annoying
target for the 'grunts'. Personally I'd advise against using them in
SGII; if you MUST then simply any enemy infantry who come within 3
inches of the vehicle would face a HE blast probably d8 similar to mines
or artillery. If you want to be nasty make it d12 as in the Anti-Pers
arty rounds. Mind you I'd say that you should consider a chance some
friendly Infantry IFF may be faulty and would have a chance of setting
the charge off. Really though the APFC should probably only be found on
Tanks and similar AFV not APCs or MICVs?

3.	The APSW dilemma has been raging for ages. GZG have tactfully
avoided becoming embroiled in this. For whatever reason there is no
heavy calibre machine style support weapon in SG II. APSWs generally
include the Auto GL and PPG. If you go back through the mail archives
you'll find plenty of discussion material on peoples personal arguments
for a HMG.

4.	IAVRs are there in SGII, people just tend to not use them. The
TO&E in the rules just don't happen to include them but then again they
don't include Auto GLs either. My TO&E for OU and PAU make good use of
IAVRs inplace of the GMS. Let's face it, the weapon systems have
individual optimum employments. GMS are best in open country and IAVR
and PPG against bunkers/light AFVs or in close country (jungles or
urban). IAVRs in SG have a range equal to the firers skill eg Regulars
max range of 40 inches; what does that equate to in DSII?

Good hunting,

Owen

Prev: Re: EFSB ships systems displays Next: Re: Wire Obstacles