Prev: Re: MicroMachines Re: [SGII] 10mm,15mm,20mm minis & VOTOMs Next: RE: Tally-Ho, What !

RE: I need Bayonets on my GZG figures!!

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 12:35:29 +1000
Subject: RE: I need Bayonets on my GZG figures!!

-----Original Message-----
From: jatkins6@ix.netcom.com [mailto:jatkins6@ix.netcom.com]
>>I think Bayonet armed figures get a die shift when opponents test to
>>recieve a charge.
>
>Heh.  I think Bayonet-armed figures should get shot when they attempt
>to use them.  Most close combat involves automatic weapons fire at
>close range and hand grenades.  Satchel charges if you're really
>unlucky.  But anyway, Bayonets are more or less a safety blanket, in
>real terms.  Not a useful weapon.

Facing a bayonet armed foe certainly has a detrimental psychological
effect but as John says most close combat is at anything from 1m to 15m
or so. Bayonets are really a skirmish level weapon. In an SG close
assault the combat itself is still fairly generic. The combatants may
not get within 5m; the defenders crouch in their pits after popping a
couple of gerenades over the parapets at the feet of the charging
assault - or - as the attacking section fight through the postion
crawling from cover to cover they manage to keep the enemies heads down
while taking out each pit with grenades!

Why use a gleaming sharpened blade when i can shoot the guy from 10 feet
away? Remember the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark? But I'd still like
to know I have the bayonet if I need it!

Owen G

Prev: Re: MicroMachines Re: [SGII] 10mm,15mm,20mm minis & VOTOMs Next: RE: Tally-Ho, What !