Prev: Re: Anti-US bullshit, was Re: Obstacles Next: Re: SV: Li Han?

Re: Anti-US bullshit, was Re: Obstacles

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 22:47:49 GMT
Subject: Re: Anti-US bullshit, was Re: Obstacles

On Tue, 5 May 1998 01:47:01 EDT, NVDoyle <NVDoyle@aol.com> wrote:

>Snideness and suspicion aside, how feasable do we think a
union/alliance
>between Japan and a re-United Kingdom is?  FT/DS/SG attempts to retain
most of
>the national character present in today's world (makes the game fun and
>recognizable), and as a student of history, this seems REALLY unlikely.

Actually, I don't think it's all that unlikely. Britain was Japan's best
ally
until the Washington Treaty. Japan patterned her navy after the Royal
Navy
just prior to the Russo-Japanese War. Britain has a history of forgiving
enemies. At one time or another in the last two hundred years, Britain
has
fought the French, the Germans, the Dutch, the Spanish, the Italians,
the
Russians, the Chinese, and the Japanese. At one point or another in the
last
two hundred years Britain has been allied with the French, the Germans,
the
Dutch, the Spanish, the Italians, the Russians, the Chinese, and the
Japanese.

Given the right circumstances, I can see Britain and Japan allying again
during a conflict. I also understand that the Japanese have a real love
of
anything Scottish (similar clan system, both cultures have strong
feelings on
hospitality, both cultures have a warrior tradition, and both cultures
wear
traditional garb for special occassions).

Allan Goodall	     agoodall@sympatico.ca

"Once again, the half time score,
 Alien Overlords: 142,000. Scotland: zip."
  - This Hour Has 22 Minutes

Prev: Re: Anti-US bullshit, was Re: Obstacles Next: Re: SV: Li Han?