Prev: Re: Obstacles Next: GZG Phone number

Re: Lunar combat (was: Re: [OT] Moon Dragon Review?)

From: Jonathan white <jw4@b...>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 11:47:32 +0100
Subject: Re: Lunar combat (was: Re: [OT] Moon Dragon Review?)

>AFAIK, diving in an airless environment will simply slam you into the
>surface harder! With no air to act on lifting surfaces (wings,
whatever),
>the only way to "pull out" of a dive is with raw thrust vectored
downwards.
>Combat over the lunar surface should (IMHO) be just like combat in open
>space, except for a 1/6 gee vector (decreasing with altitude?)
constantly
>pulling you "down" toward the surface - in other words, use a vector
>movement system with an automatic "gravity" vector applied to every
move in
>addition to whatever thrust you apply.....
>Jon (GZG)
Firstly, I don't think altitude will make all that much difference to
gravity before it stops being 'lunar combat' and starts being 'space
combat' again.
As to diving, a component of the energy in a dive is gravitational
attraction (potential energy if you will) so that will be less, although
of
course the lack of atmosphere (and therefore resitance) is probably a
bigger factor. I am of the opinion though that all this is irrelevant.
Any
sort of space vehicle is by definition not designed to slam into a lunar
body at any sort of speed. Even if a ship isn't completely wrecked, it's
likely to have hull breaches, stress damage etc etc etc.

			TTFN
				Jon

Prev: Re: Obstacles Next: GZG Phone number