Prev: RE: Obstacles, Part 2 Next: Re: FSE Ship Name Conventions

RE: Obstacles, Part 2

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 13:10:14 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: RE: Obstacles, Part 2

You wrote:

>Hey John
>
>Describe a Shock tube.  I'm not sure what your referencing.

Plastic tube lined with explosives.  To quote the applicable manual,
"The shcok tube is a thin, plastic tube of extruded polymer with a
layer of special explosvie material (called HMX) deposited on its
interior surface.  This special explosive dust poroagates a detonation
wave.  The wae moves along the shock tube to a factory crimped and
sealed blasting cap (which is moisture resistant).  The detonation is
normally contained within the plastic tubing.  The shock tue offers the
instantaneous action of electric initiation wihtout the risk of
accidental initiation of the blasting cap (and the charge) by radio
transmitters in the area, or by static electricity discarge.  The shock
tube medium is extremely reliable." (ST 5-250-1, Modernized Demolition
Initiators, October 1997, US Army Engineer School)

You Canadians probably won't see this for another decade or so--I've
yet to get to use any live stuff myself.  But the classes I've had on
it have been fascinating.  As you can see, they've only had it in
service for a year and a half.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: RE: Obstacles, Part 2 Next: Re: FSE Ship Name Conventions