Prev: Re: Components of NAC CVL -- and the FB Next: Byzantines in space..was Re: X to GZG conversions...

Re: FLEET BOOK

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 21:25:32 +0000
Subject: Re: FLEET BOOK

>	Having pored over the much anticipated volume since saturday, I
>have formed the following opinions.
>
>	1: It is a brilliant and much needed addition to the FT family
>
>	2: It provides a much needed  benchmark for gamers to use in
>competitions, ie gamers who don't know each other can produce fleets at
>the drop of a hat !
>
>	3: The glimpse of FT3 that it gives is so bloody wonderful that
>I can't wait for it (or the freshly mentioned Fleet book 2
>
>	4: Isometric illustrations of the ships serve as a better guide
>than the GZG catalogue pictures.
>
>	5: The upcoming FT3 design system is brilliant, it gives greater
>flexibility in ship design, gives a new lease of life to PDAF type
>weapons, gives fighters more flexibility.
>
>	My only quibble  is this: All of the ships appear to be
>unstreamlined and the larger warships don't seem to feature any
>interface craft/shuttles.  A very minor point, but what the hell.

None of the FT range ships are really streamlined with the exception of
the
FT307 Antares shuttle. A few of the ESU designs (eg: the 204, 206 etc)
could be argued to be partially streamlined, but I didn't want to take
up
mass for this in the designs because it would make them very
undergunned. I
think it can be assumed that all ships carry SOME sort of small
interface
craft as a "freebie", even if only a gig or launch, but nothing that can
carry a significant amount of personnel or cargo or be of any game
value,
so they are not included in the design system. Such small craft could
run
errands to/from planetary surfaces, collect/deliver new crew assignments
etc., but not perform major resupply or assault missions.

>	Superb effort by Jon/GZG/all the lucky
>playtesters/proofreaders(apart from that extra band of crew hiding
>behind a PDS on the Ark Royal!)

That's Able Spacehand Eugene P. Funk, who doesn't want to go on Damage
Control detail......
For spotting the deliberate mistake (Heh!) you win a complimentary smack
in
the head from the management.

Thanks for all the comments! The Yanks will now hate you for having a
copy
when they haven't..... :)

Jon (GZG)