Prev: RE: Obstacles, Part 2 Next: RE: Byzantines in space..was Re: X to GZG conversions...

RE: DS/SG Engineers

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 09:57:51 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: RE: DS/SG Engineers

You wrote:

>This discussion of engineering is quite interesting - J. Atkinson,
could you >throw together that post on Engineering doctrine?  If nobody

It's on my list o' things to do. . .

 national >military doctrine POV are you speaking from?  I don't know

US Army.

>Could someone (knowledgeable) put up an engineering doctrine from the
>Russian/Warsaw Pact POV?  For comparison, as I tend to play 'eastern'

I've got some stuff on it, I'll see what's worth posting.

>And to clarify things (& smooth hackles) could someone point out the
technical >differences between these various groups of lunatics?
(engineers/assault >pioneers/sappers - from a grunts perspective) What

Sapper in US is term for Light Combat Engineer, in UK/Commonwealth is
what you call an enlisted Engineer (Her Majesty's Engineers/With the
Rank and pay of a Sapper!  Good ol' Kipling!)

are they equipped with, and >what are they expected to do, reasonably.

ANYTHING.

Actually, a Combat Engineer unit has five main functions.

Mobility--enhance manuever units' ability to move by removing
obstacles, both manmade and natural

Countermobility--as above, but in reverse and to the other guy

Survivability--enhancing maneuver units' ability to fight and survive
by construction fighting positions and other emplacements

Terrain Visualization--enable the maneuver commander to understand the
effect of terrain on his mobility, through engineer-oriented
reconaissance.

Fight--Fight as infantry when necessary.

As a field commander, I am sure >that I will find PLENTY of
unreasonable things for them to do..."You're a >motor-rifle regiment -
of course you can clear mines.	NOW."

Zhukov's theory on mineclearing was that if he ignored the mines and
pressed through anyway, he'd take less casualties than if he stopped to
clear them.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: RE: Obstacles, Part 2 Next: RE: Byzantines in space..was Re: X to GZG conversions...