Prev: Re: LOS blocked by AFV in DS2? Next: Con Report: NameThatCon St. Louis

Re: FT Lite

From: db-ft@w... (David Brewer)
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 22:56:53 GMT
Subject: Re: FT Lite

[SMTP:jon@gzero.dungeon
> .com] wrote:
> >
> > I've been having some thoughts recently about a VERY stripped-down
small
> > booklet of just the basic FT core rules (suitably updated),
explained in
> > very simple terms especially for newcomers, young players and
non-gamers -
> > sort of "FT Lite".

> I would second the idea of BASIC contents.  The goal would be to make
> this cheap enough for impulse purchase.  If you throw in mini's and
> the price is like $20, people will hesitate.	But if tis like $8 or
> $10, with counters and maps and all, that would be great.  Maybe even
> do a $3 or $4 version (a la Cheap Ass Games) with the total minimium.
> Assume people have dice somewhere.  All they really need is 4 pages of
> rules, some cheap counters, a turn guide, and ship sheets.  If it was
> that cheap, I would expect a number to sell a large number just on the
> name and reviews.

Hell, if it's only four pages of photocopies, why even charge a
single brass farthing? For all the profit it would make, after the
distributors and shops take their slice out you could just give it
away as "freeware" and let the lazy sods do their own copying.

Likewise a .PDF version to download off the 'net.

FT2 can be summerised on a postcard... I guess the key question is
what exactly do you leave *out* from the basic rules?

While we're yakking about FT-Lite, I'll take the opportunity to
flog those old horses called DS-Lite and SG-Lite... just enough
rules to use your GW-type figures, with the promise of more when
you shell out the spondoolies...

--
David Brewer

Prev: Re: LOS blocked by AFV in DS2? Next: Con Report: NameThatCon St. Louis