Prev: Re: epic to Dirtside conversions Next: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition

Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition

From: "Mark A. Siefert." <cthulhu@c...>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 07:49:55 -0600
Subject: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition

I try to never let the facts get in the way of a good grudge wrote:

> John the slightly frustrated pens:
>
> >>That would be my "bathtub launcher" concept, from discussion some
time
> >>back. Back then, I recall not many people took the threat seriously,
> >>since they thought such tactics would not be employed by "honorable"
> >>opponents.
> >
> >They don't know the comedians I play Full Thrust with.  Honorable?
> >What's that?
> >
> >>Lots of fun, huh?
> >
> >Beats loosing because I decide to take a balanced fleet as opposed to
> >two uberships.  First time I played with these jokers at least two
> >people brought nothing but capital and superships.  Feh.  I brought
(at
> >1500 points) nothing larger than a Battlecruiser.  As far as I'm
> >concerned a little fight like that is a heavy scout group.  Seems
that
> >style of playing doesn't go over too well with those clowns.
>
> It sounds to me like John needs to meet up with Mark Siefert...or
John's
> group needs to meet Siefert's group...

	It's not that my group (who has dropped FT for a while to play
in a
Flintloque campaign) field a couple of Intergalactic Uberdreadnoughts of
Doom.  It's that they field about 10 to 20 Intergalactic
Uberdreadnoughts of Doom.  Their response to anyone who objects to
fleets composed of 100 Mass, Thrust 8, ships with 16 A batteries is
"Build your own, stop mucking around with such dinky ships, and stop
complaining."  (Favorite story:  One numbskull got the idea to mount 50
Kra'Vak scatterpacks on his ship.)
	In their humble opinion, traditional fleet composition makes FT
a "wet
navy game in space rather than a space game."  They lambaste escorts as
"popcorn ships."  They believe that our concept of fleet tactics makes
FT "too British."  (Yes, these are actual quotes.)
	When I playtested FTIII with them, they were NOT amused with the
construction rules for the following reasons:

	1.  The FT II construction rules are "simpler."

	2.  "They don't allow you to 'back engineer' ships" (a term they
use
for their design concept were they purchase a whole bunch of weapons and
build the ship around that).

	3.  The new rules "make big ships too powerful and small ships
too weak."

	Yes I've tried to start a new group.  Nothing has panned out
just yet.
I don't want to advertise it because they're certain people I don't want
to join us.
--
Later,
Mark A. Siefert

	"I know I'll make it, love can last forever
	Graceful swans of never topple to the earth
	And you can make it last, forever you
	You can make it last, forever you"

				     --Smashing Pumpkins
				     "Thirty-Three"

cthulhu@csd.uwm.edu		 http://www.uwm.edu/~cthulhu/index.html
====

Prev: Re: epic to Dirtside conversions Next: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition