Prev: Re: *BOOM!!* Next: Re: Kra'vak Railgun

Re: Kra'vak Railgun

From: John Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 09:45:50 -0700
Subject: Re: Kra'vak Railgun

PCARON wrote:

> > Hi Peter,
...Snip...(JTL)
> I guess I'm not the only one who noted the "slight" imbalance with
> railguns.  My FT campaign rules require that all systems be available
> players to research so the 3:2 ratio with Kra'vak designs won't apply
in this case

I have been thinking about the 'alien weapon problem' for our current
campaign.   I guess what matters is how much you want the 'alien
weapons to appear on the human ships.	If you allow anyone to have
anything, then just do Kra'Vak vs Kra'Vak and be done with it.

What follows is random thoughts on the subject:
1)  A player wishing to use/develop alien weapons must build a
    'test bed/trials ship' for the trials of the weapon on a
    civilian hull that is non-FTL.
2)  The trial ship must be of a similar size to the class the weapon
    will be used upon. (I.E. A ship must be built to test each
    class of railgun for each class of ship.)
3)  Prototype 'Railguns' cost double points and are double mass.
    Evaluation equipment for the trial ship is equal to the mass
    and points of the railgun.	(I.E. Prototype cost is 4 X the
    normal weapon cost and mass).
4)  The weapon/design has been 'proven/approved' when the player
    rolls 1D6 equal to the number of turns that he has been trying
    to make the thing work.   A failed test means the player must
    replace the railgun (it was destroyed in the failed test).
    If you are in a bad mood, you might have him roll to see if
    the test ship was damaged/destroyed.
5)  After the weapon has been proven, the player can go thru the
    same process to produce the railgun per the rules.

Just some prototype thoughts for consideration.

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: *BOOM!!* Next: Re: Kra'vak Railgun