Prev: Re: FT FLEET BOOK Next: Fighters and Fighter Screena

Re: This 'A' battery is as good as any other 'A' battery. (LONG)

From: "Peter Mancini" <Peter_Mancini@o...>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 09:27:53 -0400
Subject: Re: This 'A' battery is as good as any other 'A' battery. (LONG)

I like both of these ideas. My forte is American Civil War and my game,
Bonnie Blue Flag, is interesting because of all of the artillery data I
researched. An interesting example concerns the differences between the
10pdr Parrott Field Rifle and the 3" Ordenance Rifle.  Both were new,
high
tech weapons. Both used the new rifling technology to achieve superior
range. However there were differences in approach that caused some
trouble.
The M1861 Parrott had a steel tube with a band on it much like a ring
goes
on a finger. It's purpose was to contain the mighty preasure of the
2lbs.
powder charge. The Rodman 3" Rifle had no such band, though there was a
nice swell as it became thicker in the rear. It was formed by forging
over
a cool rod. I believe it was cooled quickly to prevent defects from
forming.  The Parrott had a tendency to burst catestrophically just past
the band, where as the 3" rifle never had a problem in combat (though
one
did crack). In fact several M1861 Parrotts burst in storage due to
stress
stored in the metal!

The M1863 "Prodoct Improved" Parrott had a better band and other
features.
Unfortunately it still burst as often and had 200 yards LESS range!!!
Oh,
and the 3" rifle had about 800 yards more range at maximum elevation.
Also
the 3" rifle could fire Parrott shells in a pinch and the Parrott could
not
do the same.  So basically we have two guns that fire similar ammunition
and serve a similar purpose and yet one is vastly superior to the other.

---Pete

Brian Bell <brian.bell@axom.com>
04/18/98 07:15 PM

Please respond to FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk

To:   FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
cc:    (bcc: Peter Mancini/OneSource)
Subject:  Re: This 'A' battery is as good as any other 'A' battery.
(LONG)

> One way to vary things a little would be to randomly adjust the mass
and
cost
> values up or down 1 point on
> every item.
>
> Roll 1d6:
>
>  Roll    Result
>    1-2     -1
>    3-4    Same
>    5-6      +1
>
> I would put a lower limit of 1 on the results.
>
> This would be great for campains where the players are building their
own
> ships.  This way every thing would
> not seem the same.

Or adjust range:

 Roll 2d6:

  Roll	   Result

  1	   -1"

  2	   -2"

  3	   -3"

  4-9	   Normal

  10	   +1

  11	   +2

  12	   +3

This adjusts each range band. Roll for each type of weapon (A Beam, B
Beam, Pulse Torpedo, etc.) Modifications effect all weapons of that type
for that fleet (or ship type).
--
Brian Bell
brian.bell@axom.com

The Full Thrust Ship Registry
http://www.axom.com/bkb/fthome.html
Dirtside II Site
http://www.axom.com/bkb/ds2main.html
Stargrunt II Site
http://www.axom.com/bkb/sg2.html
Cygnus Eclipsers' Science Fiction Games Page
http://www.axom.com/bkb/scifi_game.html

Prev: Re: FT FLEET BOOK Next: Fighters and Fighter Screena