Prev: The Full Thrust Ship Registry Next: Re: FT FLEET BOOK

Re: Honor Harrington

From: carlparl@j... (Carl J Parlagreco)
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 09:46:27 -0400
Subject: Re: Honor Harrington

I agree with what you say about Bill Baldwin's HELMSMAN series, right up
until the last book. In that one, for some reason I've been unable to
fathom, he changed his writing style dramatically. He went from an
exciting third person narrative to a turgid, poorly written first person
narrative. I hated it, but because I've liked the others so much, I'll
get the next one that comes out--IF it comes out. I haven't seen or
heard
of the next book, and I wonder if he managed to kill off the series with
this abomination. (BTW, I can't recall the title of that one, and the
books are packed in boxes following a recent move. Sorry.)

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998 20:32:36 -0400 Nyrath the nearly wise
<nyrath@clark.net> writes:
>Peter Mancini wrote:
>> I read the prolog of the first one on the train ride
>> back and I am hooked!
>> Thanks to who ever suggested it.
>
>	Another good SF series with applications to starship
>	wargames is Bill Baldwin's THE HELMSMAN series.
>	If you read them *real* carefully, you can see that
>	he's taken the history of WWI and WWII and set
>	it among the stars.  The Battle of Britain,
>	the Dunkirk Miracle, it's all here!
>	The books are quite engrossing, and very
>	cinematic.  You can almost see a StarWars-esque
>	like movie in your mind's eye.
>
>	And of course there are lots and lots of battles.
>
>	But my personal favorite is still Glen Cook's
>	PASSAGE AT ARMS.  It tells about life on a "climber",
>	a kind of cloaked starship. It reads a lot like
>	RUN SILENT,RUN DEEP in outer space.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Prev: The Full Thrust Ship Registry Next: Re: FT FLEET BOOK