Prev: RE: Nations, States, and Organizations in Full Thrust Next: Re: Nations, States, and Organizations in Full Thrust

Re: How are the latest AOG B5 Miniatures?

From: Jim Bell & Christine Hartig <jnbell@i...>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 00:49:53 -0400
Subject: Re: How are the latest AOG B5 Miniatures?

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear wrote:

> >Does anyone have the latest B5 minis from AOG (Agents of Gaming,
Angering
> >Old Gods, take your pick) such as the Hyperion and the Omega? How are
> >these, any good?
>
> I have the Vorchan, Hyperion, Omega, and the original Sharlin (no,
Jim,
> it's *still* not put together!).
I can't say anything, mine hasn't been assembled yet either. Though
three Hyperions are in the paint ship.

> The Vorchans are pretty nice. They are a bit top-heavy, but otherwise
not
> bad. I like them.
I agree, when mounting the Vorchan it needs to be on a much lower base
or you'll be picking up the miniature on a regular basis. I made one
modification to the Vorchan, when assembling file out a notch in the
vertical wing but smaller than the original notch in the wing. The new
notch should fit tightly on the main body of the Vorchan and if you make
the notch deep enough the upper section of the wing will slide into a
small U in the main body. The resulting fit makes a very stable hold on
the main body. The base I used for this miniatures was the shortest of
the 4 possible posts from the new GW (sorry evil word) flying stands.

> The Hyperions I also like. Some people have some complaints, but
overall
> they're really not bad. You can add little fiddly-bits for antennae
and
> guns and stuff if you so desire (I don't ;).	Again, these are a bit
top-
> heavy, moreso than the Vorchans. You might either trim the base down,
or
> drill out the hole a bit and add a strengthening support rod of some
sort.
> There are a couple others on the list here who did that.
That's what I did and words pretty well. To get the main hull at about
the same level as the Vorchan main hull I mounted the Hyperion on the
second smallest of the 4 possible posts from the new GW flying stands.
In both cases the main hull is at about the same height as a GZG GF
series fighter on a hex base stand. The miniature itself doesn't have
alot of detail but neither does the Hyperion in the pictures we've seen.

> The Omega I have not yet put together; hopefully in the near future I
> will have an opportunity to get a small dowel or something to make the
> rotating section rotate - THEN I'll finish putting it together!  :-)
> So far all I've done is put the engines on and the eensy-teensy *tiny*
> secondary batteries over the hull (a painful chore that required a bit
> of time and work with tweezers and a magnifying glass).
I can't comment here yet as the assembly has not yet been started. The
one comment that I can make is that the forward hanger section seems
small IMHO when compared to the remainder of the ship.

> Others on here have finished their Omegas and can prolly give you
their
> $0.02 worth on them.	:-)

The G'Quan which I picked up today are going to be a bit of a pain to
assemble. The main body has two halves which are what seems to be exact
dupicates which when placed together hold the engine section and hangar
section. The fitting of these four parts together leaves the open holes
in the ships main hull structure so you can see through the assembled
body. The problem is that the mirror image hull sections have to be
worked to both align the sides properly but also to allow the hangar
section to properly mount. The result (I haven't actually done the final
gluing) is that not all the opens that should be visible will remain
once the fitting is complete. Though it will look impressive once
painted, there isn't a lot of detail on the miniature surfaces
themselves, which reflects the smooth surfaces we see in the show.

Jim

Prev: RE: Nations, States, and Organizations in Full Thrust Next: Re: Nations, States, and Organizations in Full Thrust