Prev: RE: Perfect Campaign Rules Next: RE: Traveller Starships

Re: Ship Naming Convention

From: "Tony Francis" <TONY@s...>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 19:05:35 +0000
Subject: Re: Ship Naming Convention

> This is way off topic; but I'm curious; what didn't they like about RN
> naming policy?  (I thought the RN was sticking to their usual naming
> policy, unlike the USN which is naming things after senators that they
> really like.	*sigh* )
The complaint was that RN ship names are getting too 'soft' - the
particular example was a ship called the 'Beaver', I believe (you can
understand why no-one wants to sail on the beaver - <insert your own
smutty comment here, if you must>). The suggestion was that the RN
returned to old fashioned macho names such as 'Thunderer',
'Invincible', 'Dreadnought' etc. Somehow the idea of a 3000 ton
frigate being called 'Dreadnought' doesn't work IMHO.

> As for ship names; I tend to use a weird blend of USN and RN naming
> traditions.  If a ship class is named after people, I tend to use the
names
> of people I know, which leads to weird situations where a friend I'm
> playing against proceeds to blow his namesake out of space.  (8-)
Just to add my two penn'orth, I have a friend / opponent (depends on
who's winning) who has named his fleet after various curries. The
largest ships get named after the most potent dishes - thus
you have the BattleDreadnought 'Vindaloo', the Fleet Carrier 'Phal',
the Frigate 'Bhaji' and so on. After sixty or so ships, he's running
out of names. AFAIK his fleet doesn't repeat on you the next day,
however.

Tony Francis

Prev: RE: Perfect Campaign Rules Next: RE: Traveller Starships