Prev: RE: Perfect Campaign Rules Next: Re: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, no messages?)

Re: SAGA book (was: More on painting)

From: Brian Bell <brian.bell@a...>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 09:33:40 +0100
Subject: Re: SAGA book (was: More on painting)

-- Quote --
ith all due respect to Brian, I don't necessarily consider some
colour plates (or at the least, patches of chosen paint schema) to be
fluff. As FT3 is a minis game, and as people do bother to call these
things "an ESU cruiser" or a "NAC powered infantry trooper with
personnal plasma gun" (etc.), I think that semi "official" painting
guides (and yes, more designs!) would be quite useful and wouldn't
classify as fluff. Perhaps it is the material of a NetBook rather
than a printed book (the graphics would work well that way). If I'm
to bother buying SG2 and DS2 and FT2 (or FT3) ships, calling them
some particular ship from some particular force, I think I'd like to
paint them in the colours the designers (Jon and the Sculptors) had
in mind.
-- Unquote --

I agree. I did not imply colour plates to be fluff. What I would
consider fluff is something like the following:
The Columbus class destroyer is manufactured by Cygnus Skunkwerks which
produces 20 ships per year at the Roswell plant on New Cleveland. The
ship displaces 14 smu (standard mass unit) of hydrogen. It employes the
Louis stellar recognition system for navigation. The Marietta T-1138 IRS
(Inertia Redirection System) engines can produce upto 10 standard
gravity units for normal space opperations. The Grasshopper jump engines
have a range of 5 parsects with an average recharge time of 92 standard
hours. The Columbus class carries the Stargarde I energy screen for
protection against coherient energy weapons upto 5 weu (Weapon Energy
Units) substantially increasing the combat life of the design. The main
armament is the Alphatstar phased tachyon/photon canon with a maximum
range of 9 light minutes an an optimal firing range of 3 light minutes.
The dual purpose Cougar photon cannon provides both close support and
anti-fighter/missile support for the destroyer.

I would much rather see another ship or diagram fill the space rather
than this type of fluff. However, I would not object to this type of
fluff either if the actual playable material is equal to or more than
the fluff.

Apologies in advance to those who do not consider the above type of
information fluff.
--
Brian Bell
brian.bell@axom.com

The Full Thrust Ship Registry
http://www.axom.com/bkb/fthome.html
Dirtside II Site
http://www.axom.com/bkb/ds2main.html
Stargrunt II Site
http://www.axom.com/bkb/sg2.html
Cygnus Eclipsers' Science Fiction Games Page
http://www.axom.com/bkb/scifi_game.html

Prev: RE: Perfect Campaign Rules Next: Re: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, no messages?)