Prev: Re: Perfect Campaign Rules Next: Re: Ship Naming Inconvience

Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, no messages?)

From: "Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 11:34:45 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, no messages?)

Well, in light of some people 'complaining' that there hasn't been
enough
traffic on the list (can't seem to please everyone, can we? too much
traffic
on one end, not enough on the other ;), and having just gone through a
string
of humorous postings on rec.climbing re: route names, I thought what the
hell,
I'll query y'all as to what kind of naming conventions you use for your
respective and varied fleets (at least the thread, if it goes anywhere,
will
be semi-on topic and may give some people some ideas for their
ships/fleets -
and heck, I'm always looking for new ship names! - and this might even
be
semi-interesting...  :).

And since I'm starting this thread, I guess I might as well go first,
eh?
(well, what else am I going to do here while at work? Work??  ;-)

Most of the ships I use lately have been in the B5 universe, so I've
tried
to follow the rather loose and open naming convention for Omegas and
Hyperions.
But for other ship classes, or other 'universes', I've played it a
little more
rigorous:

Fleet Carrier - famous carriers/ships (Independence, Enterpirse,
Saratoga,
     Ark Royal, Intrepid, Kongo, Shikoku, etc)

Light Carrier - mythological figures (Pegasus, Andromeda, Perseus,
Achilles,
     Argo, Jason, Hiawatha,, Theseus, Raiko, etc)

Strike Carrier - 'fast'-sounding names (Zephyr, Whirlwind, Maverick,
Hawk,
     Wildfire, Kestrel, Shrike, etc)

Escort Carrier - flying insects that poke/sting/bite/etc (Hornet, Wasp,
     Yellow Jacket, Flea, Mosquito, Gelsa, etc).

Superdreadnought - thunder gods and other power gods from various
pantheons
     (Zeus, Thor, Loki, Raiden, Marduck, Shiva, Kali, Yen-Lo-Wang,
Apshai,
     Enceladus, Antaeus, Odin, Freya, Ki, Utu, Ishtar, Silvanus, etc)

Battledreadnought - 'famous' mountains/rock faces (Eiger, Pingora,
Everest,
     Ama Dablam, Popocatepetl, Patagonia, Vinson Massif, etc)

Battlecruiser - generals, admirals, other leaders (Kirov, Farragut,
Sherman,
     Nelson, Patton, Rommel, Guderian, Alexander, etc)

'Super' Heavy cruiser - State, province, country names (Montana, Ohio,
Alberta,
     Queensland, Panama, Argentina, Kenya, etc)

Heavy cruiser - major cities (Seattle, Cleveland, Baltimore, London,
Cairo,
     Madrid, Rome, etc)

Escort/Aegis cruiser - famous battle sites (Normany, Okinawa, Falklands,
     Dunkerque, Kursk, Ardennes, Midway, Gettysburg, Vistula, Agincourt,
etc)

Patrol cruiser - miscellaneous names (Fearless, Atlantis, Antares,
Ranger,
     Liberator, Hyperion, Victorious, etc)

Medium cruiser - Native American tribes, other Seneca, Chippewa,
Cherokee,
     Sioux, Manetaree, Aztec, Mongol, Zulu, etc)

Light cruiser - kinda lame catch-all ship names (Illustrious, Le
Fantasque,
     Highlander, Hunter, Scharnhorst, etc.)

Survey cruiser - some lame standards, some funky climbing names
(Discovery,
     Pioneer, Voyager, Outlook, Event Horizon, Loose Goose, Bitchy
Virgin,
     Snooky's Return, Yum Yum Yab Yum, Morning After, No Belle Prize,
etc)

Battle/Attack Destroyer - FT list members, Tuffley-class (heh!)

Destroyer - Magic:The Gathering cards (I'm cross-cultural - deal!)
(Serra
     Angel, Zephyr Falcon, Dwarven Warrior, Storm Shaman, Nettling Imp,
etc)

Frigate/ Battlefrigate - Babylon 5 episode directors (J.Greek, D.Eagle,
     M.Vejar, J.C.Flinn III, etc)

Escort Destroyer - funky names, band names (Sneaker Pimp, Dream Theater,
     Ytse Jam, Bloodguard, Quicksilver, Sundancer, Biscuit Board, etc)

I'm not going to touch on my non-human ship names here. Forget it.  ;-)

Mk

-
"Well, you could do that. And I could nail your head to the table, set
fire
to it, and feed your charred remains to the Pak'Mara. But, it's an
imperfect
world, and we never get exactly what we want. So get used to it."

Prev: Re: Perfect Campaign Rules Next: Re: Ship Naming Inconvience