Prev: Re: Bases for your fleets Next: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, no messages?)

Re: Perfect Campaign Rules

From: Brian Bell <brian.bell@a...>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 14:48:59 +0100
Subject: Re: Perfect Campaign Rules

--Quote--
II.	Age of Steam. Late Nineteenth Century. Quick communication to
planets (Hyper-Telegraph?) but slow to ships. Huge planet bound
communicators become a key target for raids.

This one's my choice - for no particular reason, except that I think it
makes for a more layered, interesting strategic system. Gives an actual
reason to 'waste' fleet points on courier ships, when they're manifestly

useless in any fight...
--Unquote--

I also like this technology level. I usually add FTL communicaitons with
a limited range (10 light minutes) using a tachyon laser or some other
PSB. This way ships can coordinate fire and tatical information but not
call for reinforcements.

I also do not allow ships to "hover" in hyperspace (ala B5). I make
hyperspace such that ships need to spend energy to avoid going faster
toward some other constant. Think hyper inertia: objects in motion tend
to increase in velocity. Or I make Jump Drives that spend NO time in
transit.

--
Brian Bell
brian.bell@axom.com

The Full Thrust Ship Registry
http://www.axom.com/bkb/fthome.html
Dirtside II Site
http://www.axom.com/bkb/ds2main.html
Stargrunt II Site
http://www.axom.com/bkb/sg2.html
Cygnus Eclipsers' Science Fiction Games Page
http://www.axom.com/bkb/scifi_game.html

Prev: Re: Bases for your fleets Next: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, no messages?)