Prev: RE: Comet Miniatures Next: RE: I LIVE!!!

Re: Vector Movement (was:I LIVE!!!)

From: Samuel Reynolds <reynol@p...>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 07:47:06 -0700
Subject: Re: Vector Movement (was:I LIVE!!!)

>> Has anyone got the formula for working out vector movement
(preferably
>> in excel, but I'll take the old pen & paper route)?	The old school
>> texts I've got haven't helped for this.
>> If someone can help me out with this, I'll be able to run my EFSB
>> scenario that I've had in the works. :-)
>> Just for you Mike, I'll include a Narn Heavy Cruiser (to be shot
at...)

>I would like this too if someone has it. I just tried working it out
for
>myself, but have not been successful.
>
>--
>Brian Bell
>brian.bell@axom.com

This is the mathematical representation of the vector
movement rules in somebody's (I can't recall whose)
optional rules.

Non-mathematical statement:
   Add current velocity to current position, then
   add thrust vector. The new velocity is the vector
   from the starting to ending positions.

Mathematically:
Given
   (x0, y0, s0, a0) = initial location and velocity (speed & angle)
   (t0, ta0 )	    = vector "thrust" (magnitude and angle)
   where angles are measured relative to the Y axis.

Then
   x1 = x0 + s0 * sin(a0) + t0 * sin(ta0)
   y1 = y0 + s0 * cos(a0) + t0 * cos(ta0)
   s1 = sqrt( (x1 - x0)^2 + (y1 - y0)^2 )
   a1 = atan( (x1 - x0) / (y1 - y0) )

- Sam

Samuel Reynolds
http://www.primenet.com/~reynol
reynol@primenet.com
samuel_reynolds@csgsystems.com

Prev: RE: Comet Miniatures Next: RE: I LIVE!!!