Next: Re: Non Violent Weapons

Re: Non Violent Weapons

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 22:40:28 +0200 (EET)
Subject: Re: Non Violent Weapons

On Sun, 8 Mar 1998, Thomas Barclay wrote:

> I've been working on Non Violent weapons for peacekeeping ops, and
> I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in the real world with
> rubber or wax bullets. My supposition is that they have a
> significantly lower effective range (but what range is appropriate?
> ideas?) and that they can kill, even though as a rule they do less
> serious injuries. Any idea if these rounds use the same powder loads
> as normal rounds?

Well, for starters, "non-lethal" is just the PR name. In actuality, they

are "less lethal". E.g. usually the doctrine for using rubber bullets in

rifle-caliber weapons calls for shooting at the *ground* and having the
richochets hit the rioters' *legs*. Aimed directly at torso or head,
they
are quite potentially lethal.

I have some rubber shells for 12g shotgun -- upon trying these out, they

went straight through a 1" pine plank (at 5 yards, but still).

I know wax is used in blanks and for indoor plinking, but I've never
heard of it in riot ammo.

Auto-loading weapons would need a fairly hefty charge to work in
autoloaders -- the blank adapter isn't there just to stop the caps, it
also increases pressures to working levels.

> The ruling I'm suggesting for this type of round is the use of a
> special NV wpn damage table which gives them a higher chance of
> wounding and lower chance of killing. I suggest a reduced impact die
> shift (two levels for wax, one for rubber) based on my assumption of
> a full powder load and the assumption that even a rubber bullet
> hitting an armoured Marine in the eyeball would be bad news. I also
> suggest a maximum range such as 1 band for wax and two bands for
> rubber. Thoughts anyone?

Sounds pretty realistic. The range sucks, but within effective range
they
are potentially lethal.

> wax/rubber bullets, beanbags (GL and shotgun), net grenades, stun
> grenades, CS/CN grenades, sonics, neural disrupters, tasers, stun
> guns (a la 9 Volt model currently available), Shock gloves, Riot
> armour and shields (w truncheons), slippy/sticky foam, firehose, dart
> guns, tranq needlers, solidifying foam, and some defences against
> some of the above.

The problem with any gas, neural disrupter etc. is that in a riot
situation you're targeting a very large group of people. Even if only 1%
of population is violently allergic to stumm gas, there are bound to be
couple in any rioting mob -- and you want to avoid *any* casualties.
Civilians suffocating in their own vomit is bad press.

The problems are heightened by active mobs trampling the incapacitated
guys -- for an ideal riot control weapon, you'd want something that
hurts
but doesn't damage (sting a little and let 'em limp home on their own
feet).

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly