Prev: Re: GZG Ontario Con - Request [ECC Request] Next: Supplier contacts anyone?

HMS Campbeltown and the St. Nazaire raid

From: "Michael Blair" <amfortas@h...>
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 1998 08:41:45 PST
Subject: HMS Campbeltown and the St. Nazaire raid

I know this is a little off topic but I think you might like it.

HMS Campbeltown
The raid on St. Nazaire on the 28th of March 1942.
The superintendent of a shipping company was one of a group collecting a

ferry from the shipyard at St. Nazaire. At a dinner he was asked if had
ever been there before. "Yes," was his reply, "I was the last man off
the Campbeltown, I set the charges." The French would not speak to him
after that.
	The Campbeltown was an old American WW I flush-decked destroyer
(USS
Buchanan, DD-131) handed over to the RN. She was altered to look like a
German Möwe class torpedo boat as the centrepiece of a commando raid on
the St. Nazaire port. She was use to ram the gates to the drydock at St.

Nazaire and then the explosives on board would be detonated, destroying
the gates and rendering the drydock useless so that German capital ships

could not be repaired there, forcing them to use other ports less
convenient to the Atlantic.

Now for the faint justification for posting this to the list.
You couldn't model it in Full Thrust but Stargrunt is just the man for
the commando raid.

		 Michael R. Blair

Prev: Re: GZG Ontario Con - Request [ECC Request] Next: Supplier contacts anyone?